Monday, May 12, 2008

Treat Training

I am definitely not trying to talk bad about any trainers, there is different opinions and techniques for everyone.

I personally do not do treat training. Simply for the reason that you get a dog that is "TREAT DEPENDENT" so he/she will only pay attention/listen to you if you have treats. If you don’t have treats you don’t have your dog. I cannot tell you how many people have called me with this complaint.
Don’t get me wrong there is a time and place for treats in some behavior modifications and puppy training, not for everything.

Lets not replace our physical love thats builds such a bond between you and your dog, with treats and other objects.

1 comment:

Daisy&me said...

I have to disagree with the idea that dogs get treat dependent. That only happens if the training is done wrong. Just as the ultimate goal is to ween a dog off an ecollar, its the same with using food as a motivator. Having graduated from a school that uses only praise, verbal and physical, as a reward it was clear to me that not all dogs valued the praise and were working simply to avoid a correction. However they refused to use food as a motivator and thus got horrid results with some dogs. Compulsion based training works there is no doubt about that. But what makes a good trainer is the ability to get a dog to willingly and enthusiastically work.
I use ecollars. They are invaluable tools but so are food rewards. In the end they are only tools to create behaviors. The power of using food is clear when you see a dog trained with compulsion and a dog that was trained with a balanced approach, assuming both were done correctly.